- Proper Plaid Pants
- Winter Beach Blues
- Always Learning
- Cherries in the Snow
- Slushy Sunday
- Birthday Outing, part 2
- Blustery in Blue
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 12
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 11
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 10
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 9
- Stars and Evergreen
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 8
- 12 Days of Carols, Day 7
- 12 Days of Carols, Day 6
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 5
- The "White Christmas" Skirt Suit
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 4
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 3
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 2
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 1
- Joyfully Pink
- Half a Suit & Leopard Print
- "...And sables might add to my charms."
- Last of the Leaves
- And now for a little Seasonal Materialism...
- Capital Decades '40s Fashion Show
- Catch up for the week
- NOTD: Pastel Pink and Gaudy Sparkles
- Week 52.3: Polka Dots & a Peasant Blouse
- Week 52.2: Pretty in Pink
- From the Family Archives, 1920s Edition
- Week 52.1: Basic Black
- Week 51.3: Red & Rick-Rack
- Week 51.2: A New Hat for Church
- Week 51.1: Windy Wednesday
- Week 50.3: New Accessories
- Week 50.2: Me & My Middy
- Week 50.1: Odds and Ends
- Week 49.3: Summer Sewing
- NOTD: Purple Houndstooth
- Week 49.2: A Trip to the Train Museum!
- Week 49.1: Another Day, Another (New-To-Me) Dress
- Week 48.3: Pink & Grey
- Week 48.2: Sleeve Additions
- NOTD: Paisley Gradient
- Week 48.1: Ruffles and Lace and Pink
- NOTD: Green & Blue Gradient
- Week 47.3: Concert Black
- NOTD: Golden Gradient with Swirled Stamping
- Week 47.2: Working
- NOTD: Orange and Grey
- Week 47.1: Easter Dress
- Week 46.3: Unseasonable Orange
- Week 46.2: Flower Colors
- NOTD: Lights of the Emerald City
- Week 46.1: Purple Platforms
- NOTD: Mango & Polka Dots
- Week 45.3: Spring-ing
- NOTD: Argos
- Week 45.2: Grey and Rainy
- NOTD: Water Spotted Fail
- The Google Reader-Pocalypse
- Week 45.1: Irish For A Day
- Week 44.3: An Expo Expedition
- NOTD: Belated Butter London Gradient
- Week 44.2: Going Places
- Week 44.1: Teal & Black
- Week 43.3: A New Dress Day!
- NOTD: Silver Swirls & Sparkle Gradient
- Week 43.2: Springtime colors
- Week 43.1: Liturgical Colors
- NOTD: Gold Brocade Swirlies
- Week 42: Under the Weather
- Week 38.1: A Twist on Teal
- Week 37.3: Pink & Pearls
- Week 37.2: Theater Clothes
- NOTD: Icy blue
- Week 37.1: Grey
- NOTD: So you want a Revvvolution
- How To: Glitter Soled Pumps
- Week 36.3: Belated Birding
- Week 36.2: Outlandish, like a proper fashion blogger
- Week 36.1: Think Mink
- Week 35.3: Belated Birthday Presents
- NOTD: Game Day Nails!
- NOTD: Pink Lightning
- Week 35.2: Black & Blue-ish
- Week 35.1: Unseasonably green
- NOTD: Abstract Gold Stamping
- Week 34.3: Excursioning
- NOTD: Eureka! A Stamping Gold
- Week 34.2: The Annual New Year's Hike
- Week 34.1: A New Year!
- Week 33.3: Social Calls
- NOTD: Silver Snowflakes
- Week 33.2: A Christmas Extention
- NOTD: Holiday Half-moons
- Week 33.1: Merry Christmas Eve!
- Week 32.3: Early Mornings
- Week 32.2: Wearing my heart (brooch) on my sleeve
- Week 32.1: A Mall Outing
- Week 31.3: Gaudete pink
- Week 31.2: Sweater Weather
- Now We Are Two! (and a glittery manicure)
- Week 31.1: Walking
- NOTD: Sparkle Aplenty
- Week 30.2: Pretty Pajamas
- Week 30.3: Black & Tan
- NOTD: Purple Tapestry, take 2
- Week 30.1: Under the weather
- NOTD: Tiffany Blue
- Week 29.3: Stage Fright
- Week 29.2: Seasonal Foliage
- Week 29.1: Trees & Tinsel
- NOTD: Green with Silver Glequins
- Week 28.3: Post-Thanksgiving Crash!
- Week 28.2: Favorite coat & a new hat!
- Week 28.1: Casual clothes for housework & errands
- NOTD: Vampy Red Stamping
- Week 27.3: New Blue Gloves
- Week 27.2: Afternoon Coffee
- Week 27.1: A Birding Expotition
- NOTD: Green & Purple
- Week 26.3: Navy & a hat
- NOTD: Musical Nails
- Week 26.2: Halfway there! & a belated Wednesday weigh-in
- NOTD: Subtle Swirly Flowers
- Week 26.1: Election Day (part 2)
- Have you voted yet?
- I won something!
- Week 25.3: My last-minute Halloween costume
- Week 25.2: A Pumpkining Excursion
- Week 25.1: Black & Orange
- Week 24.3: Orange for fall
- Week 24.2: Hot pink & seamed stockings
- NOTD: Jack o' Lanterns (with bonus pumpkin cheesecake smoothie recipe!)
- Nine Ways to wear a Navy Skirt
- Week 24.1: Rain, rain, won't you stay?
- NOTD: Witchy Stripes
- Week 23.3: A Study in Beret
- NOTD: Haunted Houses
- Week 23.2: Test-driving a hat
- NOTD: Going batty!
- Week 23.1: Breaking the Dress Code
- NOTD: Pumpkin-y
- Week 22.3: Red & Rick-Rack
- NOTD: Spooky Spiderwebs
- Week 22.1 & .2: A Mini (& Minnie) Vacation
- NOTD: Boo-berry Jelly Sandwich
- Week 21.3: Black & White & Red all over
- Week 21.2: Fall is for Plaids
- NOTD: Polar Opposites Swatch
- Week 21.1: A Re-Engagement Date
- Week 20.3: Black & White
- Week 20.2: Today is Teal
- Week 20.1: A Green Suit
- NOTD: Fall Duochrome
- Week 19.3: Not my usual decade...
- NOTD: Atomic Orange Sparkles
- Week 19.2: Weigh-in Whining & Pencil Skirts
- NOTD: Bike Helmet-Inspired Chevrons
- Week 19.1: Purple & Grey
- NOTD: Seaweed Sparkles
- Week 18.3: Performances abound!
- Week 18.2: A Day for New Beginnings
- Week 18.1: Yellow Plaid for Summer
- NOTD: Copper Cougar
- Week 17.3: Doug's Senior Recital!
- Week 17.1 & 17.2: In which I am STILL not losing weight.
- NOTD: Golden Glitter Gradient
- Week 16.3: The Annual End-Of-Summer Hike
- Week 16.1 & 16.2
- The week in brief: NOTD & outfits 15.2 & 15.3
- Week 15.1: An Unfortunate Diversion
- NOTD: Shattered Lavender Gradient
- Week 14.2 & .3: Getting back on the bandwagon
- NOTD: Housepaint Nails
- NOTD: Rare & Radiant, stamped!
- Week 14.1: Wednesday Weigh-in
- Week 13: Procrastination overview edition!
- NOTD: Experiments in Duochrome Stamping
- Week 12.2 & .3: Channeling the '60s
- Week 12.1: Three months down!
- NOTD: Nebula Nails
- Week 11.3: Purple Polkadots
- Week 11.2: Griping in a Grey Dress
- NOTD: Nails for the Games!
- Week 11.1: An announcement & a photoshoot
- NOTD: Subtle Nude Stamping
- Week 10.3: A Day at the Fair, a Night at the Opera
- Week 10.2: Rainbow plaid & some progress, finally!
- NOTD: Pastel Purple Zebra
- Week 10.1: Bumblebee skirt & Beehive hair
- Week 9.3: More Clothes for Lazy Days
- NOTD: Sunny yellow
- Week 9.2: Gloves for Summer
- Week 9.1: Muumuu weather
- NOTD: Mer-maid for Each Other swatch
- Week 8.3: Pink & Green
- Week 8.2: 4th of July outfit & weigh-in
- NOTD: Sparkles for the 4th
- Week 8.1: Return of the Red Dress
- NOTD: Blue & White Flowers
- Week 7.3: Beach wrap-up and exercise
- NOTD: Ocean Flowers
- Week 7.2: Beautiful days at the beach
- Week 7.1: A new sundress at the beach
- Plans for a new summer dress
- Week 6.3: A fancy dress for a sushi date
- NOTD: Hawaiian print for the beach!
- Week 6.2: Wednesday's outfit & weigh-in
- Week 6.1: 80s-does-40s floral fun
- NOTD: Copycat Stained Glass Nails
- Recent goodies of the non-nail variety
- Week 5.3: Painting
- NOTD: Cruisin', fully clothed
- Week 5.2: A Funny Hat & A Decided Lack of Progress
- NOTD: Cult Nails Iconic
- Week 5.1: An over-the-top outfit & the One that Got Away
- NOTD: Vera Bradley-inspired daisies
- Week 4.3: A Detour for Dinosaurs
- Week 4.2: Travel and curls
- NOTD: Royal & Gold
- Week 4.1: On the road again!
- Week 3.3: Biking gear
- NOTD: June Beetle-esque (Ivanka)
- Week 3.2: Green petticoats & a lack of fish
- NOTD: Milani Digital
- Week 3.1: Yellow for vacation
- NOTD: Coral Stone
- From the Vault: China Glaze Ruby Pumps
- Week 2.3: Rushmore
- Week 2.2: Grand Tetons & Yellowstone
- Week 2.1: On the Road!
- NOTD: In anticipation of fishing
- Week 1.3 - Workout clothes & cleaning day
- Week 1.2: Wednesday weigh-in and a bracelet of mysterious origin
- NOTD: Watery Blue Gradient
- NOTD: A Gradient of a Different Color
- Changes around the blog & a personal challenge
- NOTD: Gradient Green
- Works For Me Wednesday: Vintage Sewing Patterns
- NOTD: Copycat Tiger Stripes
- NOTD: Rainbow snakeskin
- Works for Me Wednesday: Not Procrastinating
- NOTD: Rainy silver stamping
- NOTD: Something Orange
- Works for Me Wednesday: Nail polish swatches
- NOTD: Freehand daisies
- NOTD: Leafy Green Stamping
- How To: Nail polish cleanup
- China Glaze Ray-Diant
- Easter nails & how I wore them
- Blogger's first Bakelite
- Neon nails & navy skirts
- Nail mail & a recipe!
- From the vault: Purple holo
- NOTD: Gym clothes inspired
- NOLW (Nails of Last Week)
- NOTD & an outfit, for love of spring and primary colors
- NOTD: Belated St. Patty's Day greens
- From the Vault: Subtle Geekiness
- Senior Recital
- Guest post at Pretty Digits
- Decisions, decisions...
- NOTD: Pink Stamping
- Guest Nails: A good stamping red!
- NOTD: Revlon Royal
Oct 25, 2016
As much as I like the decreased humidity of autumn, it does come with its fair share of rainy days. I just happen to own the perfect novelty print dress for soggy weather, though, and since I do love a good thematic outfit it isn’t all bad.
I let this dress sit in my Etsy favorites for a good long while before deciding to buy it because it was a bit as-is, and I’ve been slowly working on fixing it up. The worst of the issues are a few stains on the back of the skirt, and I finally gave it a good long soak to see if those would come out. Washing did lighten them coniderably, but the largest one is still visible. Since the discoloration is centered on a seam, I’m hoping I can just take it in by a half inch and hide the flaw entirely.
After washing, I realized that the dress probably would benefit from a good ironing. The fabric wrinkles fairly easily, and it had a weird springy feel that one does not usually associate with woven fabrics. Sure enough, one aggressive ironing later (avoiding the persistent stain, naturally) the dress was smooth, shiny, and a good several inches longer. Seriously. I’ve photographed it for the blog before here, and you can see that both the waist and skirt hit much lower now!
Oct 19, 2016
I feel like all I talk about on this blog is the weather, but since it plays such a major part in deciding what to wear, I suppose it makes sense! It was all cool and autumny for quite a while and then boom, two days of 80 degree weather. Totally uncalled for and very confusing.
Now, as much as I’d like to keep things upbeat (or just moderately whiny) I do have to take a moment to talk about heavier matters.
If you haven’t already heard, one of the pillars of the online vintage community, Jessica of Chronically Vintage and her husband lost their home and all of their belongings (and, quite possibly, their dear kitty Stella) in a terrible house fire late last week. Fortunately, they themselves (and their dog) came out unharmed and they’re able to stay with family while they rebuild, but replacing a lifetime’s worth of clothing, tools, and technology is a daunting task, especially when paired with chronic illness.
A crowdfunding page has been set up for the Cangianos on YouCaring here and if you happen to be able to pitch in anything, I am sure that it would be an enormous help as they get themselves turned rightways up again and prepare for winter.
Anyway, today’s silly pictures brought to you by chasing the fading light up a hill after work to try to get some pictures. Not the best chasing up the hill shoes but I think the photos turned out okay so it was worth it!
Oct 11, 2016
One of the perks of my new commute is my convenient proximity to Minute Man National Historic Park. The stunning scenery, miles of walking trails, and historic buildings make it a favorite haunt of mine.
I stopped by after work last week to take advantage of the beginnings of the fall foliage to snap some pictures of my outfit and the second pair of shoes I picked up from Royal Vintage Shoes. I haven’t had a pair of brown shoes that I love, so I picked up the Dolores slingback, partially with this outfit in mind. I’ve worn pretty much everything but the shoes before here.
So. About the shoes. As per usual, I must disclose that I am a brand ambassador for Royal Vintage, which (lest you think people are throwing shoes and money at me) in this case means I got a little discount on the shoes that I definitely would have purchased anyway in exchange for writing up my honest review here.
Oct 8, 2016
Well, enough real world for now, let’s talk about something near and dear to many ladies’ hearts: shoes! I’ve been waiting rather impatiently for the last month (and impatiently before that, too) for new shoes to arrive in the mail.
Now, of course, shoes don’t actually take a month to arrive in the mail, but when Royal Vintage Shoes released their first collection for pre-order, I snapped up my favorite styles right away. As you may remember, I’m a brand ambassador for Royal Vintage, so I am bribed with shoes (erm, I get a discount) to talk about shoes, but all opinions and reviews are my honest opinion.
I picked up two pairs from the Classic 1940s collection, the Marilyn (featured here) in black and the Dolores (blog post coming soon!) in brown. I’ve actually been without a plain closed-toe black pump for a while so I was pretty excited about getting these. Especially as the weather gets colder, it’s really nice to have a staple black pump that goes with everything.
Oct 3, 2016
Hello hello! I generally avoid mixing real life and vintage on the blog here, at least in detail, but it seems proper to let you know that I just survived day one at my new job, and I’ll be getting into the groove of that work/life balance over the next few weeks! To be honest, it probably won’t make a big difference to the blog, except that I might buy more shoes and post slightly more regularly since I’ll be leaving the house dressed like a real person a bit more often. Working from home did have its perks…
Today’s ensemble (which is actually from a few weeks back because I’m hoarding pictures) was designed pretty much entirely around coming up with an excuse to wear this hat. I’ve been looking for an orange or yellow feathered hat for a while (goal: look like a cockatiel), and while this one is not entirely orange it was too silly and too cheap to pass up. I particularly like the long black feather poms that stick a good six inches out away from the base of the hat.