- Proper Plaid Pants
- Winter Beach Blues
- Always Learning
- Cherries in the Snow
- Slushy Sunday
- Birthday Outing, part 2
- Blustery in Blue
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 12
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 11
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 10
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 9
- Stars and Evergreen
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 8
- 12 Days of Carols, Day 7
- 12 Days of Carols, Day 6
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 5
- The "White Christmas" Skirt Suit
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 4
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 3
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 2
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 1
- Joyfully Pink
- Half a Suit & Leopard Print
- "...And sables might add to my charms."
- Last of the Leaves
- And now for a little Seasonal Materialism...
- Capital Decades '40s Fashion Show
- Catch up for the week
- NOTD: Pastel Pink and Gaudy Sparkles
- Week 52.3: Polka Dots & a Peasant Blouse
- Week 52.2: Pretty in Pink
- From the Family Archives, 1920s Edition
- Week 52.1: Basic Black
- Week 51.3: Red & Rick-Rack
- Week 51.2: A New Hat for Church
- Week 51.1: Windy Wednesday
- Week 50.3: New Accessories
- Week 50.2: Me & My Middy
- Week 50.1: Odds and Ends
- Week 49.3: Summer Sewing
- NOTD: Purple Houndstooth
- Week 49.2: A Trip to the Train Museum!
- Week 49.1: Another Day, Another (New-To-Me) Dress
- Week 48.3: Pink & Grey
- Week 48.2: Sleeve Additions
- NOTD: Paisley Gradient
- Week 48.1: Ruffles and Lace and Pink
- NOTD: Green & Blue Gradient
- Week 47.3: Concert Black
- NOTD: Golden Gradient with Swirled Stamping
- Week 47.2: Working
- NOTD: Orange and Grey
- Week 47.1: Easter Dress
- Week 46.3: Unseasonable Orange
- Week 46.2: Flower Colors
- NOTD: Lights of the Emerald City
- Week 46.1: Purple Platforms
- NOTD: Mango & Polka Dots
- Week 45.3: Spring-ing
- NOTD: Argos
- Week 45.2: Grey and Rainy
- NOTD: Water Spotted Fail
- The Google Reader-Pocalypse
- Week 45.1: Irish For A Day
- Week 44.3: An Expo Expedition
- NOTD: Belated Butter London Gradient
- Week 44.2: Going Places
- Week 44.1: Teal & Black
- Week 43.3: A New Dress Day!
- NOTD: Silver Swirls & Sparkle Gradient
- Week 43.2: Springtime colors
- Week 43.1: Liturgical Colors
- NOTD: Gold Brocade Swirlies
- Week 42: Under the Weather
- Week 38.1: A Twist on Teal
- Week 37.3: Pink & Pearls
- Week 37.2: Theater Clothes
- NOTD: Icy blue
- Week 37.1: Grey
- NOTD: So you want a Revvvolution
- How To: Glitter Soled Pumps
- Week 36.3: Belated Birding
- Week 36.2: Outlandish, like a proper fashion blogger
- Week 36.1: Think Mink
- Week 35.3: Belated Birthday Presents
- NOTD: Game Day Nails!
- NOTD: Pink Lightning
- Week 35.2: Black & Blue-ish
- Week 35.1: Unseasonably green
- NOTD: Abstract Gold Stamping
- Week 34.3: Excursioning
- NOTD: Eureka! A Stamping Gold
- Week 34.2: The Annual New Year's Hike
- Week 34.1: A New Year!
- Week 33.3: Social Calls
- NOTD: Silver Snowflakes
- Week 33.2: A Christmas Extention
- NOTD: Holiday Half-moons
- Week 33.1: Merry Christmas Eve!
- Week 32.3: Early Mornings
- Week 32.2: Wearing my heart (brooch) on my sleeve
- Week 32.1: A Mall Outing
- Week 31.3: Gaudete pink
- Week 31.2: Sweater Weather
- Now We Are Two! (and a glittery manicure)
- Week 31.1: Walking
- NOTD: Sparkle Aplenty
- Week 30.2: Pretty Pajamas
- Week 30.3: Black & Tan
- NOTD: Purple Tapestry, take 2
- Week 30.1: Under the weather
- NOTD: Tiffany Blue
- Week 29.3: Stage Fright
- Week 29.2: Seasonal Foliage
- Week 29.1: Trees & Tinsel
- NOTD: Green with Silver Glequins
- Week 28.3: Post-Thanksgiving Crash!
- Week 28.2: Favorite coat & a new hat!
- Week 28.1: Casual clothes for housework & errands
- NOTD: Vampy Red Stamping
- Week 27.3: New Blue Gloves
- Week 27.2: Afternoon Coffee
- Week 27.1: A Birding Expotition
- NOTD: Green & Purple
- Week 26.3: Navy & a hat
- NOTD: Musical Nails
- Week 26.2: Halfway there! & a belated Wednesday weigh-in
- NOTD: Subtle Swirly Flowers
- Week 26.1: Election Day (part 2)
- Have you voted yet?
- I won something!
- Week 25.3: My last-minute Halloween costume
- Week 25.2: A Pumpkining Excursion
- Week 25.1: Black & Orange
- Week 24.3: Orange for fall
- Week 24.2: Hot pink & seamed stockings
- NOTD: Jack o' Lanterns (with bonus pumpkin cheesecake smoothie recipe!)
- Nine Ways to wear a Navy Skirt
- Week 24.1: Rain, rain, won't you stay?
- NOTD: Witchy Stripes
- Week 23.3: A Study in Beret
- NOTD: Haunted Houses
- Week 23.2: Test-driving a hat
- NOTD: Going batty!
- Week 23.1: Breaking the Dress Code
- NOTD: Pumpkin-y
- Week 22.3: Red & Rick-Rack
- NOTD: Spooky Spiderwebs
- Week 22.1 & .2: A Mini (& Minnie) Vacation
- NOTD: Boo-berry Jelly Sandwich
- Week 21.3: Black & White & Red all over
- Week 21.2: Fall is for Plaids
- NOTD: Polar Opposites Swatch
- Week 21.1: A Re-Engagement Date
- Week 20.3: Black & White
- Week 20.2: Today is Teal
- Week 20.1: A Green Suit
- NOTD: Fall Duochrome
- Week 19.3: Not my usual decade...
- NOTD: Atomic Orange Sparkles
- Week 19.2: Weigh-in Whining & Pencil Skirts
- NOTD: Bike Helmet-Inspired Chevrons
- Week 19.1: Purple & Grey
- NOTD: Seaweed Sparkles
- Week 18.3: Performances abound!
- Week 18.2: A Day for New Beginnings
- Week 18.1: Yellow Plaid for Summer
- NOTD: Copper Cougar
- Week 17.3: Doug's Senior Recital!
- Week 17.1 & 17.2: In which I am STILL not losing weight.
- NOTD: Golden Glitter Gradient
- Week 16.3: The Annual End-Of-Summer Hike
- Week 16.1 & 16.2
- The week in brief: NOTD & outfits 15.2 & 15.3
- Week 15.1: An Unfortunate Diversion
- NOTD: Shattered Lavender Gradient
- Week 14.2 & .3: Getting back on the bandwagon
- NOTD: Housepaint Nails
- NOTD: Rare & Radiant, stamped!
- Week 14.1: Wednesday Weigh-in
- Week 13: Procrastination overview edition!
- NOTD: Experiments in Duochrome Stamping
- Week 12.2 & .3: Channeling the '60s
- Week 12.1: Three months down!
- NOTD: Nebula Nails
- Week 11.3: Purple Polkadots
- Week 11.2: Griping in a Grey Dress
- NOTD: Nails for the Games!
- Week 11.1: An announcement & a photoshoot
- NOTD: Subtle Nude Stamping
- Week 10.3: A Day at the Fair, a Night at the Opera
- Week 10.2: Rainbow plaid & some progress, finally!
- NOTD: Pastel Purple Zebra
- Week 10.1: Bumblebee skirt & Beehive hair
- Week 9.3: More Clothes for Lazy Days
- NOTD: Sunny yellow
- Week 9.2: Gloves for Summer
- Week 9.1: Muumuu weather
- NOTD: Mer-maid for Each Other swatch
- Week 8.3: Pink & Green
- Week 8.2: 4th of July outfit & weigh-in
- NOTD: Sparkles for the 4th
- Week 8.1: Return of the Red Dress
- NOTD: Blue & White Flowers
- Week 7.3: Beach wrap-up and exercise
- NOTD: Ocean Flowers
- Week 7.2: Beautiful days at the beach
- Week 7.1: A new sundress at the beach
- Plans for a new summer dress
- Week 6.3: A fancy dress for a sushi date
- NOTD: Hawaiian print for the beach!
- Week 6.2: Wednesday's outfit & weigh-in
- Week 6.1: 80s-does-40s floral fun
- NOTD: Copycat Stained Glass Nails
- Recent goodies of the non-nail variety
- Week 5.3: Painting
- NOTD: Cruisin', fully clothed
- Week 5.2: A Funny Hat & A Decided Lack of Progress
- NOTD: Cult Nails Iconic
- Week 5.1: An over-the-top outfit & the One that Got Away
- NOTD: Vera Bradley-inspired daisies
- Week 4.3: A Detour for Dinosaurs
- Week 4.2: Travel and curls
- NOTD: Royal & Gold
- Week 4.1: On the road again!
- Week 3.3: Biking gear
- NOTD: June Beetle-esque (Ivanka)
- Week 3.2: Green petticoats & a lack of fish
- NOTD: Milani Digital
- Week 3.1: Yellow for vacation
- NOTD: Coral Stone
- From the Vault: China Glaze Ruby Pumps
- Week 2.3: Rushmore
- Week 2.2: Grand Tetons & Yellowstone
- Week 2.1: On the Road!
- NOTD: In anticipation of fishing
- Week 1.3 - Workout clothes & cleaning day
- Week 1.2: Wednesday weigh-in and a bracelet of mysterious origin
- NOTD: Watery Blue Gradient
- NOTD: A Gradient of a Different Color
- Changes around the blog & a personal challenge
- NOTD: Gradient Green
- Works For Me Wednesday: Vintage Sewing Patterns
- NOTD: Copycat Tiger Stripes
- NOTD: Rainbow snakeskin
- Works for Me Wednesday: Not Procrastinating
- NOTD: Rainy silver stamping
- NOTD: Something Orange
- Works for Me Wednesday: Nail polish swatches
- NOTD: Freehand daisies
- NOTD: Leafy Green Stamping
- How To: Nail polish cleanup
- China Glaze Ray-Diant
- Easter nails & how I wore them
- Blogger's first Bakelite
- Neon nails & navy skirts
- Nail mail & a recipe!
- From the vault: Purple holo
- NOTD: Gym clothes inspired
- NOLW (Nails of Last Week)
- NOTD & an outfit, for love of spring and primary colors
- NOTD: Belated St. Patty's Day greens
- From the Vault: Subtle Geekiness
- Senior Recital
- Guest post at Pretty Digits
- Decisions, decisions...
- NOTD: Pink Stamping
- Guest Nails: A good stamping red!
- NOTD: Revlon Royal
Jul 21, 2016
So, fair warning, I’m probably going to spend most of the rest of the summer complaining about the weather. See, I’m from the land of hot and dry and I’ve moved to the land of slightly-less-hot but drippingly humid and I do not cope well with humidity. Don’t let the windy weather in these photos fool you, the only wind we’ve had is the kind that’s pushing 90 degrees and might be bringing a thunderstorm along with it… not much relief from the heat!
So naturally, I’ve been living in the lightest cotton dresses I own. One that has been in near-weekly rotation is this fantastic Bernie Dexter dress. It features a great selection of my favorite colors (grey, pink, lime, and red are all winners in my book) and a fantastic novelty print of drunken pink elephants which I think is whimsical and hilarious.
Jul 19, 2016
The weather has finally gotten toooo hot, and so this weekend we finally went to the beach! These pictures are not from our latest outing, though… I’ve been holding on to them since I went to the beach last month with my parents before summer season (and summer nasty biting flies!) was in full force.
Since my skin tone is squarely between “fair” and “parchment”, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t burned to a crisp by the end of our outing. I opted to wear a shirt with longer sleeves to keep the sun off my shoulders and back, and this pretty lightweight blouse (the top half of a patio set) fit the bill just perfectly.
Petal pink isn’t my top choice where colors are concerned, but the fantastic blue and silver trim on this set really makes up for it! I haven’t actually worn the whole set out yet… I’ll have to do that on a cooler day this summer.
Jul 13, 2016
I’ve changed my wardrobe a little in the past three years… living in a different state means that I had to make a few adjustments — more coats, for starters. But, to paraphrase a well known phrase, you can take the girl out of California but you can’t take the California out of the girl! So even though I’m living in New England, I still entertain my southwestern styles every now and then.
I admit that I do feel a bit out of place in peasant blouses or patio skirts, but loose airy garments are actually a great way to beat the sticky summer humidity! And I even found this fun skirt with all of its heavy trim and “made in Arizona” label in a Massachusetts antiques shop… so clearly I’m not the only one who has tried to wear western styles out here in the east!
Jul 8, 2016
One of the fun parts of being a vintage collector is tracking down the pieces you want for your wardrobe. Sometimes this is more general — I’m looking for a medium blue hat. Sometimes, it’s more specific. One of the pieces I’ve been keeping my eye out for ever since I started collecting vintage was this music-themed novelty print skirt. I’m a trained musician, I used to play violin, the skirt is awesome… clearly it had to go on my wish list.
I’ve seen it in a few colorways — the background might be black or blue or brown — but almost always way out of my budget. Anyway, it lived on my mental list of “things to buy if I ever see them in the wild for a fair price” for a long time. And then the other week Hannah, like some vintage fairy godmother, saw a friend selling the skirt, thought of me, and put us in touch!
Jul 5, 2016
Hello hello! I hope my American readers and a pleasant 4th of July and my Canadian readers had a good Canada Day! Now that we’ve kicked the season off with explosions and grilling, summer must really be here! Of course, as I type this post it is (once again) pouring rain… I’m not sure I will ever quite get used to “Up North” summers.
This weekend, though, when it was edging in on 90 and incredibly warm and humid, we went out for an expedition to visit the Mass Audubon Habitat Wildlife Sanctuary in Belmont.
I wasn’t sure that we’d be doing anything for the 4th, so I dressed up in some of my silliest red, white, and blue attire for the outing. I made the blouse last summer out of a novelty fabric remnant I found at the thrift store, but I’m not sure that I got the chance to photograph it properly… it doesn’t go with a lot of things that I own, and the western print seems somewhat out of place in New England!